NT to remove Sydney COVID-19 hotspot status as NSW outbreak grows to eight

www.abc.net.au
5 min read
fairly difficult
The Northern Territory Government announces the hotspot declaration for most of Greater Sydney will be removed tomorrow as planned, despite the area recording fresh cases of the virus in the past 36 hours.
The Northern Territory will open its borders to arrivals from Greater Sydney on Friday as the extent of an infection outbreak in the city remains unknown.

Key points: Arrivals from Sydney will be able to freely enter the NT from Friday

Arrivals from Sydney will be able to freely enter the NT from Friday There have been eight locally acquired infections across Greater Sydney in the past 36 hours

There have been eight locally acquired infections across Greater Sydney in the past 36 hours NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said she expects to see more cases in the coming days

The Northern Territory Government first announced its intention to lift the hotspot declaration on Greater Sydney last month, saying arrivals from Sydney could freely enter the NT if there was a continued "downward trend of cases".

But an outbreak of coronavirus across Western Sydney, with NSW authorities confirming eight locally acquired infections in the past 36 hours, compelled the NT Government to seek further health advice before deciding to lift the hotspot declaration.

This afternoon, NT Deputy Chief Health Officer Charles Pain said the decision to lift the hotspot was "considered carefully" and was safe because the Sydney outbreak is "controlled and contained".

Charles Pain says the Sydney outbreak does meet the threshold for "established community transmission". ( ABC News: Jano Gibson )

Dr Pain's comments came hours after NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said she expected to see more cases identified from…
Steve Vivian
Read full article