Prince William issues rare statement addressing BBC's investigation of Princess Diana interview

ca.sports.yahoo.com
3 min read
fairly difficult
Prince William said he "tentatively" welcomes the BBC's new investigation into its controversial 1995 interview with his late mother, Princess Diana.
Prince William said he "tentatively" welcomes the BBC's new investigation into its controversial 1995 interview with his late mother, Princess Diana.

The BBC announced last week it is conducting a "robust and independent investigation" into an allegation that Martin Bashir, the reporter who conducted Princess Diana's 1995 bombshell "Panorama" interview, asked a graphic designer to create fake bank statements to coerce the royal into talking on camera.

"The independent investigation is a step in the right direction," said the Duke of Cambridge in a statement, provided to USA TODAY by Kensington Palace. "It should help establish the truth behind the actions that led to the Panorama interview and subsequent decisions taken by those in the BBC at the time."

The BBC said Wednesday its board of directors had approved the appointment of John Dyson, a retired Supreme Court judge, to lead an independent investigation into the circumstances around a controversial TV interview. Dyson is is "an eminent and highly respected figure who will lead a thorough process," the broadcaster said.

Diana's brother, Charles Spencer, made renewed claims this month that Bashir used false claims to convince the late royal to agree to the interview.

Princess Diana is pictured being interviewed interviewed by the BBC's Martin Bashir in the current affairs program "Panorama" on Nov. 20, 1995. She discussed with apparent candor her life and problems with her husband, Prince…
Hannah Yasharoff, USA TODAY
Read full article